Saturday, October 08, 2011

The Warden's Death

Nathaniel came just in time. The ogre was about to crush her when he sent an arrow straight through its heart. The ogre fell on to a rock and remained still.

"Nathaniel", she whispered, reaching out for him.

He rushed to her side and held her in his arms. "Why did you do that? Did you think that leaving a note would suffice? The whole castle was worried! And look what you did to yourself! I need to get you back into the castle immediately, get you some healing magic."

"No, Nathaniel. This is it. This is the calling. This is my end."

"That is not true, there should be 30 years... 30 years after the joining to---", her finger on his lips stopped him from speaking.

"I've... wanted this to happen. I've... waited for this to happen. My life has... ended 3 years ago after... Alistair's death. Now I would be... able to see him again", she is choking on her own blood now, and Nathaniel felt the blood gush from her leg. She was bleeding everywhere. He looked around, hoping for a sign of a mage or a bottle of healing potion--anyone, anything who can heal her, but there was nothing. He sat there helpless, his love in his arms. There is nothing he can do now.

He touched her face lovingly. "I...thank you, thank you for sparing me and helping me redeem my family's name." Tears were welling up in his eyes. He hesitated and finally spoke: "I love you."

She smiled at him. "Thank you...for being a very... dear friend, Nathaniel." With difficulty, she moved her hand to touch his face. Nathaniel pressed her hand firmly against his face and savored the warmth emanating from it. He saw her eyes close and her hand felt heavy, but he kept it on his skin. He leaned over, his whole body trembling as he kissed her. "Goodbye, Marri."