Wednesday, January 21, 2009

First week

One week in nursing school and I'm already exhausted. I am enjoying all of my classes and my professors are all awesome. I also love our new classrooms--gotta love the chairs, they're all cushioned! But struggling to cram tons of information into my brain and walking from the school building to my car carrying a 10lb backpack and an additional 6lb bag are not easy especially right after a month of vacation where I slept for 10 hours or more every single day (or night).

I had all of my laboratory classes today and at NURS 265 (Health Intervention), we got to try on our gloves, gowns, and masks. The class was quite interesting because we got to work with the Sim (simulated?) Man. No, he's not a superhero. He's our mannequin (he's a he because his artificial genital is a penis) and he's probably the creepiest mannequin I've seen because he's breathing, and he's breathing LOUDLY and his chest was rising with every inhalation. Boy, I would hate to go into a dark room with him in there. He also has a pulse and a blood pressure and if I'm not mistaken, I think he can speak too. -_-"

I am currently reading Kelli Dunham's How to Survive and Maybe Even Love Nursing School. This is a very very helpful book for all nursing students. It basically aims to keep me motivated and sane (haha) as I surf through nursing school to get an RN at the end of my name.

We're going to be on a Health Fair at the School of Mines on February 26 and I'm really excited about this because I will get to wear my polo uniform (ang babaw mehn XD) and do BPs and stuff on people. Now I'm thinking what if he goes to our table and I have no choice but to do his VS? HAHA. I will die pare, as in. Anyway, I know that that is a when-pigs-fly thing so I'll just leave that up to my daydreams.

I still have 3 chapters to breeze though so ta-ta for now! :D