Thursday, January 22, 2009

Tarsdee

The Nightingale Pledge

I solemnly pledge myself before God and in the presence of this assembly, to pass my life in purity and to practice my profession faithfully. I will abstain from whatever is deleterious and mischievous, and will not take or knowingly administer any harmful drug. I will do all in my power to maintain and elevate the standard of my profession, and will hold in confidence all personal matters committed to my keeping and all family affairs coming to my knowledge in the practice of my calling. With loyalty will I endeavor to aid the physician, in his work, and devote myself to the welfare of those committed to my care.

from: Professional Nursing: Concepts & Challenges by Chitty & Black


This morning, we watched a video about the history of nursing and the contributions nurses made for the society. It's very inspiring and motivating to know how important nurses are in the community, specifically in healthcare, and I'm glad and proud to have chosen to take this path. As my professor put it, nurses are the backbone of the medical institution. Without them, the institution would collapse.

It is also a relief knowing that the demand for nurses will continue to rise as baby boomers are nearing their retirement.

* * *

I didn't get the chance to watch Obama's inauguration live, but I did catch on the replays and read the news. And here's something which caught my attention: Sensitive Atheists want "So help me God" be removed from oath-takings.


K.

* * *

I have joined Nurses' Christian Fellowship. It is a student support group in our campus where everyone can provide and find--well--support, and encouragement. Not to mention the superb lunch they provided for us this afternoon. :]

Somehow, I think God does want me to be where I am. When I was failing all my classes at SLU, I felt I do not stand a chance against other students who were also aiming to get into the quota. I had my mind made up that if ever we do get to live in the US, I will change my course, determined never to get anything related to the medical field. But the moment I was asked what career path I want to take, nursing was the very first thing that came into my mind and next thing I knew, I was sitting in Carol's office, looking at the nursing pre-requisites I have to take. And here I am.

It's also puzzling how Yahoo! now keeps on including nursing as one of the featured best jobs to have, but when I was still taking my pre-reqs, I don't believe I've ever seen nursing headlined as such. Plus, when did I ever have the courage to join student orgs? I'm even planning to join a second org, the Student Nurses Association of SDSU. When did I ever get the courage to sit down beside a classmate I don't even know the name of and talk about random things? I never did all of that by myself even in the Philippines. I always needed someone to be with me.

This is the currently the most stressful part of my school life. Not even SLU gave me this much workload--and I was taking 27-29 units (I only have 12 units this sem) that time.

But--as Kelli Dunham put it--I can do this. That RN after my name is worth all the tears, blood, and sweat I can and will shed.